joy unspeakable

Friday, April 14, 2006

Deep Thoughts

I was driving down the road today, listening to some tunes on Air-1 (alternative Christian music station), and I began to ponder as I so often do...


I started thinking about how Christian music has come a long way and how there are so many choices out there that are relevant to today's culture. I know there are some old-school-types out there who think Christian music should show "reverence". To these people reverent music may mean old hymns, southern gospel, or what some would call "high-church" or liturgical-type music. I could not disagree more. Webster defines reverence as "honor or respect felt or shown; profound adoring; awed respect". For me, to revere my God is to let Him know how awesome He is and how much I love Him, regardless of how I do it. Sometimes that happens to be to a sweet guitar rift and a kickin' drum beat. And sometimes, it's Amazing Grace accapella-style.


Then I started to relate the same line of thinking to types of Christian churches. Too often I have heard well meaning saints try to explain why their style of "church" is the better one. There are some that feel like church services should consist of 3 fast and 2 slow songs, followed by announcements, 20 minutes of teaching, and an altar invitation. Others think you should let the Spirit guide you in worship for as long as you "feel" Him, and then maybe there is preaching or maybe not. Still others think it should all be done with tradition and repetition, following and exact scripted order. Some churches raise hands, some clap, some stand, sit, and kneel, and some do as they feel (rhyme not intended). I have met some who insist that you must wear a coat and tie or a dress to honor God. I've also been to churches where you can wear a coat and tie, jeans and a T-shirt, or anything in between. (I have personally come to the conclusion that as long as you are clean, modest, and not wearing anything profane, and you are dressed in the robes of righteousness and wearing the garment of praise, then you are fit to enter in to the presence of the King of Kings, no matter where you are.)


My point is, that none of these types of churches are correct without a relationship with Jesus. A relationship with Jesus is key no matter where you go to church or how you worship. A relationship is personal. Relationships differ based on the individuals involved. While God never changes, each one of us He has a relationship with changes greatly. So shouldn't that mean our walk with Him as well as the way in which we revere Him should also differ greatly from others who believe? If I try to force my style of prayer, worship, etc. on someone, is that really their relationship with God, or merely that person trying to walk my walk - which is a place only I can go?


Some might argue, "Well the So-and-So Church down the street believes yada yada, which has no Biblical foundation." While that may be true, arguing rarely turns causes a person to change their view. Though it may make them all the more stubborn. If someone has a REAL relationship with Jesus, and they are truly seeking His face, His will, His direction... then I think God can change their mind for them. He did for me! That is not to say that you cannot try to gently correct them and/or pray for them to find the truth. There have been times I have found that neither they nor I were 100% correct in our thinking.

...And that is all I have to say about that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home