joy unspeakable

Saturday, April 15, 2006

My baby has to have surgery!

Olivia has been a snorer since early infancy. She also had a lot of ear infections, so we took her to an ENT and she had tubes put in at about 18 months. At that time, he noticed she was a mouth breather, recommended she be put on allergy meds., and told me to let him know if I wanted her tonsils and/or adenoids out. I told him I would like to see if time or allergy meds. would correct the problem.

Fast forward over a year and a half... a few months ago I noticed that Olivia would stop breathing briefly while she slept, and then gasp a bit and return to snoring. I suspected sleep apnea. A trip to cyberspace told me I was probably correct in my assumption and that it is not that common in small children.

So, we finally went back to the ENT yesterday, and with out hesitation, he was scheduling her for surgery to take out both tonsils and adenoids. The surgery will be on the morning of Tues., May 16th. I am not looking forward to it, but I know she'll be so much better off after she recovers. Poor Livie-Pooh!

5 Comments:

  • Amy, sorry to hear about Livie's surgery, but if it will help her breath right and help with her allergies, it will be so worth it. She's young and resilent. She'll recover just fine. We will, of course, be praying for her.

    By Blogger Flower Mound Mom, at 9:32 PM  

  • Amy, that's breathe with an e. I really should use spell check. It's late. But I wanted to comment before I retired to the bed! Hope your Easter was lovely.

    By Blogger Flower Mound Mom, at 9:34 PM  

  • Livy Boo! Aunt Amy, I had tubes in my ears too. My sis had her tonsils taken out and tubes in her ears; tell Livy she gets a popsicle or icecream after surgery! Stevie and I will be praying for her :)

    By Blogger Free and Living, at 8:39 PM  

  • Thanks ladies! I'll let you know how it goes. We haven't told Olivia about the surgery yet. She still holds her ears every time we enter a doctor's office ... even if it's my doctor!

    By Blogger Amy of the Hill, at 9:55 PM  

  • I wish we had her Daddy's out when he was little. She'll be fine. See you soon!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home