joy unspeakable

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Today the girls played their first soccer games! How fun!

I had to divide my attention between 2 games that took place simultaneously. Olivia is pretty timid, and I therefore spent much more time with her, nudging her back on the field and encouraging her to kick the ball instead of just running around chasing the group of kids who were kicking it. The Hawks have 3 boys and Olivia on the team. I was so proud of her! There was a little boy who kept crying because the other team kept taking the ball away. (If we had taken score, they would have won for sure!) There were several children crying today across the park. And on the other team, a girl picked a flower, and was running around looking at it the whole time! I thought for sure Olivia would be a flower-picker or a crier, but she did pretty well. She looked so cute running so hard after the ball with a look of pure determination. After she got to throw the ball in one time, she was sure that was the equivalent of scoring a goal! And I won't let on any differently, though her big sister keeps trying to tell her it was not a goal!

Abigail's team was pretty fierce. There are 4 on a team. Her team consists of two 6-year old boys who have each played 3 seasons of soccer, and two 5-year old girls who have never played before. Abigail is the youngest, TALLEST member of the Bears. The Bears pretty much dominated the game. We don't keep score in YMCA soccer, but at Steve's count it was our team- 12 the other team -0. Abigail scored the last goal! I actually got to see that. I think she did very well for her first game. The coach has been teaching her team how to work together, and it showed today. We were blessed with a really good coach. He told Abigail that she has improved a lot since starting a few weeks ago and that he is proud of her. Big smile! Abigail keeps asking me when she'll play in a "real" game like her cousin, Becca. I told her this was a real game, and that Becca started out the same way. And I told her one day she may play college soccer as well, only for University of Florida! :0)

Aunt Lindsey and Bryan (her boyfriend) and their puppy, Bailey came to watch the games. The girls were very excited to have fans! Next week, Grandma and Grandpa Blanda are coming to see their games. They can't wait.

We took lots of video and pictures and I hope that Steve will help me to get some on the site to share! I can't wait until next week!

2 Comments:

  • we can't wait either. See you Thursday!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 AM  

  • Of course my brother would keep score! No other way. Tell Abigail that's how Becca started out. Just get the ball and run. Kick and run. Of course in the direction of the goal. Wish we could see them play. Enjoy this time. I'm sure Steve will make athletes out of both of them. How fun!!

    By Blogger Flower Mound Mom, at 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home